FIVE REASONS WHY VIRGINITY IS OVERATTED

When I started this compilation I didn’t know if I’ll get up to five reasons or surpass it.

Technically a virgin and her hymen should go together. Hmm, “hymen” odd name if you ask me; as if teasing the male folks out there like – hi men am still here.

want-my-Viginty

Does the hymen even have a function? Its probably just a vestigial tissue (I stand to be corrected on this) if it protects ladies as many would claim, won’t that also suggest that the countless non virgins out there would by now be suffering from one ailment or the other?

1. Virginity and chastity comes from an era were women had no rights and their sense of self and sexuality belonged to their religion, parents or husbands. An era that stoned, tortured, circumcised young girls, told them not to touch themselves and demonised sex even though sex is one of our basic cravings.

2. When we talk of sex as it is, I believe the saying “anything worth doing is worth doing well” comes to mind. I also believe a good employer would get employees with experience. So why marry a virgin. Marriage is sweetest in its early years when youth and vigor is at its peak, so if you ask me I’d say lay a good foundation for companionship and other areas of compatibility but also have good satisfying sex and who better to deliver this than a lady with experience.

3. Virgins have the loudest imaginations and am talking about “dirty”, “lascivious”, “lewd”, “carnal”, “risque”, “indecent” imaginations (using the language of the do gooders of course). So believe me though they’ll be shouting #VirginAndProud, #TeamVirgin but they are dying of frustration and can’t wait to get rid of that hymen.

4. Virgins look forward to their wedding nights but they also dread it. The pain that accompanies a big something entering their tiny orifice and tearing that hymen is a horror movie on its own, ask any girl, the first time is often not fun but painfully horrible. So virgins why not just get rid of it early and save yourself the pain and dive into the pleasure part when its wedding night. There is a story of a newly wed couple who had to repeat the pain full process up to three nights without the hymen breaking because the unbearable pain always made the lady pull back and postpone the operation.So for those saving themselves for marriage do you know that the longer you wait the thicker the hymen gets and the more painful to break. Too bad for my sisters in their late twenties your younger teen sisters had it easier.download (1)

5. On a lighter note what if, God forbids, while Miss V was saving herself for marriage she had an accident and died without tasting sex, she’ll probably join up with some other 72 virgins and be offered up to one suicide bomber in jihadist heaven.

photo courtesy - dailymail.co.uk

photo courtesy – dailymail.co.uk

So ask yourselves, these guys pushing for virgins why aren’t they virgins themselves. And for girls learn to live your own life, if chastity is your thing follow it, but if you are free spirited by all means don’t cage yourself, but learn to stay safe and don’t over do things.

Remember a new broom sweeps clean but an old broom knows the corners.

*winks*

WillyWest is a scientist, a social critic, and a writer.

His articles will feature here on our site from time to time

10 comments for “FIVE REASONS WHY VIRGINITY IS OVERATTED

1. Noni
    October 14, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I have to go on the premise that this wasn’t a serious attempt at explaining why virgininty is overrated. If it was meant to be funny I think the writer should stick to his day job.

And even if virginity is overrated, nothing said here explains why that is the case. Reading this reminds me of “The DaVinci Code”; full of half truths, a few facts and a lot of fiction to make it sound convincing.

And why is the stress always on women and not on men when it comes to virginity? That says a lot really. What is so great about the act of sex that it’s worshipped like some god? It’s like people who act like they’ve driven all of their lives and forgot at some point they too were a learner.

Sexual experience or inexperience doesn’t make a person more kind or sociable or treat others better. It has definitely done nothing to improve Nigerian society that’s for certain. Did I read somewhere that Nigeria has one of the fastest growing HIV/AIDS rates in Africa? If this is true, what does that tell us about people’s attitudes regarding sex? THAT would make far more interesting reading.

There’s more to life than sex or being obsessed with other people’s virginity. Methinks going on about how virginity is overrated is itself overrated.

• William West
      October 15, 2014 at 8:44 am

Thanks for such an intelligent response Noni, I enjoy playing devil’s advocate every now and then, its always lovely to see how people passionately pass their points across.

My opinion on this or any other issue is that we all be aware of the consequences of the choices we make, with this in mind, what a person decides to do with their body as long as it doesn’t harm others is their business.

And in this the words of Robert Nesta Marley rings true – “everyman got a right to decide his own destiny …”

• Noni
        October 15, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Sorry William, but what exactly is the “consequences of the choices we make”? Dying a virgin? Oh wait, I can think of a few as my mother used to work in an STD clinic…

And trust me, the idea of first sex at a later age in life being painful is rubbish. The only virgins who end up fearful of sex are the ones you make up or who have never had any kind of sex education and don’t know their bodies. I’m sure many of your peers wandered into sex equally ignorant (and men are still predominantly ignorant about their bodies) but, judging the nature of the society, that is in no way surprising.

There are more important things in life than sex. I know you will say sex is part of why we are here, but most sex nowadays is recreational, not procreational unless someone is some kind of ultra orthodox somebody. I would say I’m a product of love, not someone scratching an itch and passing through.

Never more have the words of Robert Marley rang true: “Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery/None but ourselves can free our mind”.

2. October 14, 2014 at 10:54 pm

//.Hmm, “hymen” odd name if you ask me; as if teasing the male folks out there like – hi men am still here.// – LWKMD.

On a serious note, I think the decision on virginity just like that of abortion or female genital mutilation should be left for women. That gender, which more often than not, is being subjugated should make such decisions because they are more intimately affected.

We should not hide under the cloak of religion and inflict hardship on another human being. Enough of pretence, enough of religious bigotry. Enough of traditional wickedness in our society.

• William West
      October 15, 2014 at 8:48 am

Thanks Dr, the last point you mentioned above is the gospel truth.

• Noni
      October 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

@ Doc, while I agree with you in part, I take issue with one word: subjugation. It’s not always about subjugation, like FGM.

Choosing to remain a virgin, like choosing to be sexually active, is down to the individual, both male and female. I have honestly heard more men make a big deal about women’s virginity than women themselves, and I have to ask, why the fixation?

It doesn’t always have to do with subjugation, nor religion, nor even tradition. It doesn’t even have to do with lack of opportunity or exposure, but simply an individual choice. Our world does not respect that choice if it excludes sexual relations.

• December 15, 2014 at 6:53 am

Education will allow the women to make informed choices. This education will be based on both science and religion. This has nothing to do with bigotry of any form. Most Nigerians were brought up under one form of tradition or another. Tradition must not be demonised. But any traditon or custom which is contrary to law, equity and good conscience should not be allowed in society.

3. October 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm

//Why should a woman be valued or demeaned on the basis of whether she’s sexually experienced or not? Therein lies the hypocrisy.//

EXACTLY!!!
    And in our Nigerian society, such hypocrisy abound. Mostly covered under the guise of religion.

4. October 21, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Further reading on the topic:

The above from Faculty of Medicine Journal.

• William West
      October 21, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Wow, the article provided in the link above has been a real eye opener, I never imagined the hymen had different forms, I thought the donut appearance was all there was, I have to admit seeing the honeycomb appearance completely freaked me out.