Oily Food and Health – Dr Maureen Ona-Igbru

image

Oily Food and Health: When something is deep fried in oil, it multiplies the caloric density. If any food in oil is submerged, whether it’s plantain, yam, fish, meat, potato or some flour items, oil increases the calories, as fat is soaked up into every available space, in the food being fried, and also oil steals the natural mineral and oxidants required for our body, and turns the food into a tasteful dish with nothing to offer.
image

And as we all know extra fat lead’s to obesity, which itself is the cause of many diseases. And then we have to make the struggle to get rid of those extra pounds.
Fat isn’t the bad guy. Although we associate dietary fat with weight gain and heart disease, some types of fat are good for us. The key is choosing the right fat and eschewing the bad. Oily fish like mackerel, salmon and sardines these fish are delicious as well as healthy. They have full-flavoured flesh and need just a dash of lemon if grilled. Canned versions provide an extra boost of calcium if you eat the soft bones. Olive oil is a great source of monounsaturated fat. A bottle should be in every cupboard’use it to make homemade salad dressings and to flavour steamed veggies.
Greasy foods mean fatty foods, and there’s just something about fat that we’re all attracted to, like any chef in the world will tell you, fat is where the flavor is at.
Fat is a rich energy source, but it takes a lot of exercising to start using it.  If you eat plenty of fat without having a very active lifestyle, you stand a serious chance of gaining weight, and eventually becoming obese.
The ingestion of fats can also attribute to clots in the blood. If a clot happens to make its way to your brain, then you will undoubtedly suffer a stroke.
image

The clot cuts off the circulation of blood to your brain, meaning your brain is losing oxygen. Saturated fats are animal fats, and they’re chock full of bad stuff. Eating greasy foods increases the level of low density lipoproteins (LDL) in your body. LDL, known commonly as bad cholesterol, will settle around your arteries, constricting them, and ultimately lead to heart disease. When that aforementioned clot attempts to pass through and gets caught, this is a heart attack.
image

Since greasy foods can up your cholesterol to dangerously high levels, they can also attribute to type-2 diabetes. The higher your cholesterol levels are, the more resistance you have to your body’s natural insulin sources. This will cause diabetes and ultimately affect your life in a very drastic way.
We all enjoy greasy foods.
image

Sure, some of us make the conscious choice to no longer indulge in them, but it’s a pretty hard thing to avoid great-tasting foods. Prevention they say is better than cure.

The above write up is published on our site courtesy of Dr. Maureen Ona-Igbru.

Dr Maureen is a medical doctor with many years in practice and has an undying passion for dissemination of health knowledge to the public. One striking feature that cuts across all her articles is the ability to present a complex medical condition in an easy to understand manner for the readers.

N.B. The illustrations that appear on this articles are added by the site admin.

4 comments for “Oily Food and Health – Dr Maureen Ona-Igbru

  1. Noni
    April 2, 2016 at 12:31 pm

    Not all fats are bad – there are good fats and bad fats. The best thing is to do everything – even eating – should be done in moderation.

    Problem is that in Nigeria, we often get that concoction that is vegetable oil. Ideally I’d prefer to cook with coconut oil but not all locally made oils are done properly and are sometimes hard to find.

    • April 3, 2016 at 8:55 pm

      @Noni, cooking with coconut oil? Seriously? Agreed coconut oil is healthier and all that but making my jollof five using coconut oil, for me is unthinkable. Same goes for olive oil. I guess I’d rather enjoy my meal with the vegetable oil and risk having cholesterol issues. Thankfully, not all cholesterol is bad.

      • Noni
        April 3, 2016 at 9:12 pm

        Okay, I like the taste of coconut oil in everything, but the coconuttiness (?) doesn’t last. I’ve fried eggs in Coconut oil and they still taste like friend eggs, not eggs fried in coconut 😂

  2. April 3, 2016 at 9:03 pm

    Recent findings have proven right what we all know for sometime. That it is not dietary cholesterol that causes high blood cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol intake contributes less than 20% of blood cholesterol level. The rest 80% comes from the body fat deposit. And what causes excessive body fat deposit is none other than the increase intake of refined sugar. Soda drinks. Sugary drinks and even glucose drinks are the real culprits behind this. Let’s see how this new awareness affects our sugar intake and how it affects the sugary drinks industries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *