There’s no doubt that social media is here to stay. The social media comes in divers platforms and people have a plethora of available choices to make depending on which one easily helps you send out messages to your audience.
The social media is a beautiful place with all sorts of users, in Nigeria today people tend to follow certain patterns and we have come up with a brief and non-exhaustive list of such social media trend, so here goes;
- The truly wealthy guys – These ones post stuffs on either facebook or instagram not really to impress anyone but just as part of their every day life of ostentation. For instance a pic of Femi Otedola in his luxury yacht or Dangote alighting from his private jet would make an average Joe go wow but that’s just what life as a multi billionaire looks like they don’t do it to impress you.
- The wealthy wannabe guys – These ones can’t exactly be placed on the same level as “The truly wealthy guys” mentioned above but these guys happen to have made some money and see this as an opportunity to tell who cares to know that they are now in the big league, the borrow pose guys also fall here – they simply take pics at fancy places or close to fancy cars or use stuffs belonging to “the truly wealthy guys” claim it as theirs just for show.
- The pretty girls – I think Instagram was created with these ladies in mind, especially with modern make ups being the in-thing. Its often difficult to differentiate beautiful from ugly not with the layers of foundation, make ups and in app filters. “The pretty girls” can upload several pics with different pose at the same time, they snap, pose, snap, pout, snap, look away from the camera, snap and on and on.
- The relationship diary experts – We all have that friend who does this, mostly true with some single and dating females, you could almost follow up on every detail about their relationship. When they land some new guy they write post of how much of a gentle man he is, when he leaves they write posts of how all men are the same. These ones are mostly armed with picture quotes to buttress their points.
- The single and desperately searching – A fortunate few have been able to find love online but I still wont recommend online dating due to its many pitfalls (But hey whatever rocks your boat, that’s just my opinion). Most people male and female look for love on facebook and Instagram and are quick to start convos based on how pretty a person’s picture looks, these are the same ones that would start saying “thank you for accepting my friend request” as if accepting ones request is a huge favor.
- The comment givers – These few in extreme cases, never change their dps or post anything on their wall, all they do is comment on other peoples post or write LLnP or WULLnP on peoples birthday. I think I partly fall in this group *hides face*.
- The data wasters – The data wasters are mostly bored people who log on facebook or instagram just to while away time or boredom, they will scroll from top to bottom over and over hoping to find something exciting.
- The viewers – The viewers are similar to “the data wasters” and in extreme cases don’t even have a profile picture, they have never or hardly post anything online, they log on everyday and they can tell you the latest happenings in the life of every of their friend on facebook or instagram based on their posts. You notice “the viewers” sometimes by the fact their facebook messenger tells you they are online.
- The type amen or hit like crew – Seriously who has this helped? While some set of people get some form of satisfaction by playing on the emotions or perceived spirituality of gullible online users, its the job of “the type amen or hit like crew” to always hit like or type amen to show how very religious they are. Someone somewhere just gets the picture of a sick person and ask people to click like so the person will get well or post a picture of Jesus or a Christian leader with some prayer and ask you to click amen.
- … Thats all folks, the social media still remains a beautiful place filled with lots of wonderful characters, feel free to add other curiosities you might have observed.